Michale Johnosn and I will be hanging out at the EA Global (SF) 2017 conference this weekend representing the Qualia Research Institute. If you see us and want to chat, please feel free to approach us. This is what we look like:
I will be handing out the following flyer:
Mental Health as an EA Cause Area: Key Questions
- What makes a state of consciousness feel good or bad?
- What percentage of worldwide suffering is directly caused by mental illness and/or the hedonic treadmill rather than by external circumstances?
- Is there a way to “sabotage the hedonic treadmill”?
- Can benevolent and intelligent sentient beings be fully animated by gradients of bliss (offloading nociception to insentient mechanism)?
- Can we uproot the fundamental causes of suffering by tweaking our brain structure without compromising our critical thinking?
- Can consciousness technologies play a part in making the world a high-trust super-organism?
If these questions intrigue you, you are likely to find the following readings valuable:
- Principia Qualia
- Qualia Computing So Far
- Quantifying Bliss: Talk Summary
- The Tyranny of the Intentional Object
- Algorithmic Reduction of Psychedelic States
- How to secretly communicate with people on LSD
- ELI5 “The Hyperbolic Geometry of DMT Experiences”
- Peaceful Qualia: The Manhattan Project of Consciousness
- Symmetry Theory of Valence “Explain Like I’m 5” edition
- Generalized Wada Test and the Total Order of Consciousness
- Wireheading Done Right: Stay Positive Without Going Insane
- Why we seek out pleasure: the Symmetry Theory of Homeostatic Regulation
- The Hyperbolic Geometry of DMT Experiences: Symmetries, Sheets, and Saddled Scenes
Who we are:
Qualia Research Institute (Michael Johnson & Andrés Gómez Emilsson)
Qualia Computing (this website; Andrés Gómez Emilsson)
Open Theory (Michael Johnson)